Friday, March 19, 2010

7 Things You Didn't Know About Me

While browsing through @paulawhite’s blog this morning, I came across a post written last May. In it, Paula shared 7 things about herself that few others know. I thought this was a neat idea, so I'm going to give it a try as well.

1. I’ve never been on a rollercoaster. I don’t think it’s because I’m scared of them – I wouldn’t know because I never put myself in a spot to find out. What’s even more interesting is that I spent six summers during high school and college working at a local Six Flags amusement park. I was given countless free passes, but never once did I use one of them to wait in line for a rollercoaster ride. I like water parks though. Go figure.

2. Shortly after graduating from high school, I decided to celebrate my independence by bleaching my hair and then dying it blue. My Mom insisted it looked like a feather duster. It did, but that’s why I thought it was cool. Moms just don’t understand.

3. When I was 7 years old, I found a half-dead turtle struggling in the filter of a friend’s in-ground pool. I took it home and my parents – assuming it was chlorine-shocked and not long for this world – told me I could keep it. The joke was on them, though. It lived for 18 years. His name was Michelangelo. When he died, my youngest brother played taps while we buried him in the backyard.

5. When I was student teaching, my cooperating teacher gave me the unappealing duty of checking the bathrooms. One morning, I walked into the boys’ room down the hall to find an unfamiliar student standing in front of a urinal. He glanced back at me, and failing to recognize me as a student teacher, said “It’s cool” and then continued to smoke his cigarette. I was so stunned by his folly that I turned around and walked out of the room. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I had tried to walk him down to the front office.

6. I’m distantly related to Maryland Senator, Barbara Mikulski. My grandfather’s side of the family originally settled in Virgina and he had somewhere in the neighborhood of eleven siblings. She’s from a different branch, but the same family tree. I also have great uncles named Wellington Weldon Mikulski and Winston Churchill Mikulski. What can I say – my great-grandmother had a way with names.

7. I am an English Language Arts teacher, and I have never read any of the books in the Harry Potter series. Some may say that’s like an art teacher who doesn’t recognize a Dali painting, but they just never interested me. I’ve never seen the movies either.
Save to delicious Saved by 0 users
Digg Technorati StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo
ma.gnolia squidoo newsvine live netscape tailrank mister-wong blogmarks slashdot spurl

0 Responses: